Thursday, March 26, 2009

our love for aji verde

i have a confession to make. i traveled internationally with seeds. chili seeds. and i do not regret it, because they are beginning to sprout! you see, in Chile there is an amazing light green/yellow mild chili pepper. I crave this pepper. It so good chopped up on a fresh tomato salad. Or you can make Chancho en Piedra (Pig in Stone), which is chopped fresh tomato, garlic and this chili pepper. We also like to just eat it by itself with a little salt. It has a fresh cool entrance, quickly followed by a hot burning sensation at the tip of the tongue. Depending on the maturity of the pepper, the burning may last longer or shorter. I love it! Ricky's parents have a chili plant that is giving so many chili's that you can pull at least two or three a day and it seems like 3 or 4 take its place immediately. I saved and dried a few precious seeds and put them in the pocket of my jeans. And that's where they stayed until we arrived to Cusco. We don't have this pepper here. We have other types of aji and rocoto, but they aren't the same. So I'm hoping my little plant will grow in this weather. I have a home-made mini greenhouse all ready for this little guy!

3 comments:

holly darling smith said...

*gasp!*

:) Sounds delicious.

patti said...

Ha ha, I hope your seeds grow and produce many chilis for you to enjoy! Can you bring some seeds for us to plant?

Amanda Mae said...

oooh those are yummy! I miss the ahi amarillo from Peru ... So I ordered some seeds- hopefully they grow!