Monday, February 02, 2009

home

we're home. in cusco that is. it feels good to be back, but it's a bitter sweet feeling. we love santiago. i love santiago. we had such a good time, and although I felt ready to come home, it feels a little empty being here. maybe part of it has to do with the drastic change in weather. It was in the 80's -90's in santiago.. and here it's raining and pretty chilly. I feel bad for Isa who has to start wearing layers again.

She's pooped the poor thing. but she travels exceptionally well. she doesn't fuss at all, except for a few minutes here and there when we won't let her put herself into danger. but everyone on the flights comment about her, what a good baby, they say, she didn't cry at all. i'm proud of her. i'm also proud because she says "airplane", though its very difficult for anyone else to recognize. the flights were relatively short. only 3 hours to Lima and then another hour and a half to Cusco.

i jumped out of my skin, grabbed the seat in front of me and started praying only ONCE on this flight. we get the worst turbulence while coming up through the mountain clouds. I never used to be nervous to fly, until we came to Cusco. But thank the Lord we are here. we immediately cleaned the month and a half of dust accumulated in our house before even sitting down. I'm a little anal like that, but I can't actually relax until i have a clean house.

i also love Ricky for forgiving me. do you know what i did? I accidentally left our backdoor unlocked. yes for an entire month and a half, our house was like a sitting duck waiting to be robbed. but we have the best anti-theft protection. our neighbor. she owns the small convenience store across the street from our place and thankfully keeps a watchful eye on the neighborhood. mostly out of curiosity of course. in spanish we call her "sapa". i think nosy would be the closest translation. but we love her anyway. however, she collected our mail for us and a few things came back open!

we're looking forward to the new year of work here in cusco. looking forward to seeing the people of the church and the kids...

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Welcome Home. I bet you will all sleep well tonight. There is nothing like your own bed.
Can't wait till your here. I know it is like 8 months away but I am still excited!
Love you give Isa kisses from all of us.

INTERIORS by Charissa LLC said...

You have lots to be thankful for...a wonderful God who watches over us and our possessions, a forgiving husband and a "sapa" neighbor! :-)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your mail came back open! HA!
I remember that lady!


Jen

patti said...

Oh, Tracie! I'm glad you share the hard things, but sometimes I wish I could protect you from them. It makes me glad to know you are trusting the Lord even when things are tough.
We love you all.